Thursday, December 9, 2010

Making Dreams Come True

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of going to comedian and television star Steve Harvey’s house to take part in selecting the final participants for the 2011 Class of Disney’s Dreamers Academy, with Steve Harvey and Essence Magazine.

I’ve written about DDA several times online and for Heart & Soul magazine; as it’s such a special, life-changing event. Wait, I'll let Steve tell you about it himself (it’s a short video so don’t blink, I make two quick appearances) …



I was beyond thrilled when they invited me to be one of 10 select judges.

They sent me this picture and frame to say thank-you.

As you can see I was in good company with Gospel Superstar Yolanda Adams; Steve Harvey and his beautiful wife, Marjorie; Terrance J., host of BET’s “106 and Park;” Sports Radio Host and Commentator Stephen A. Smith; Dr. Steve Perry, principal and founder of Capitol Preparatory Magnet School; Angela Burt-Murray, editor-in-chief of Essence Magazine; Stella Ringer, Marketing Manager, The Coca-Cola Company; Walt Disney World representatives Tracey Powell, executive champion for Disney’s Dreamers Academy and Carole Munroe, Director, Walt Disney World News Bureau; and Dalonte Hall, a 2010 Dreamer.

I’m looking forward to attending the magical weekend in March 2011 and I thank the wonderful folks at DDA for honoring me with this opportunity to help make some wonderful, young dreams come true.

Winks & Smiles,

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Great work Lorraine. I love how you've made a career of empowering opportunities! Keep it up!

MBB Founder and Editor Denene Millner said...

I'm SO proud of you, superstar! Making a difference, changing lives and making it count—that's what it's all about. Keep on doing what you do, sweets!

Anonymous said...

Proud of You. But not surprised.
I knew you when you sat in the back with a coloring book + a command of silence. When you served food to the Homeless(Stamford,CT)& service projects W/lords & ladies.Then there was working JRF Jazz(before it was fun,the boys cute).living thru the revolving door of "unique" special people who spent time at the house,basketball teams,Joe(people who lived with us because it was the right thing to do).All the times you(and the other one)helped me stuff bags,fold papers..,your support of me at events for others, that i dragged you to(Aids Walks, community projects,some embarrassing etc). As you got older,accomplished,gifting me with goodies for my Scholars, my Work...allowing me to do my thing.
Now you're doing your thing( your way) and i'm SO PROUD of you. You get it. It's about giving back.
Lucky to be there? They lucky to have You. says who, Ya Mama.

chris mcpeake said...

Great stuff... keep it up

Unknown said...

Thanks, Ladies! I appreciate the kind words and support! And, look at that ... my mom figured out how to leave a comment ... after all these years! LOVE it! ;)

Adrienne said...

How wonderful!!!! Congrats to you!

Anonymous said...

that's awesome, I love all things Disney!

Anonymous said...

I saw you in there twice. You go wifey! You are truly blessed, my mom has 2 computers in her house and doesn't know how to turn on either one...(as I shake my head). Your mom is so proud of you.

My best,
Lynn

Funkidivagirl said...

Congratulations!

So, wait, you are going to Disney twice in March? Are the trips close? I'm going 2 weekends in a row...the other weekend with my son's high school. Can you say exhausted?

Sojourner Marable Grimmett said...

Congratulations! Keep up the great work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...