Monday, March 14, 2011

Hunger Walk/Run 2011 Race Recap

I got back in town on Saturday and decided at the last minute to do the Hunger Walk/Run 5K on Sunday. My church participates every year and I've always wanted to join them. While I didn't have any lead time to raise money I made my personal contribution, picked up my number and joined the fun.

The race didn't start until 2 p.m. so I had plenty of time to catch up on some sleep, get my upper body workout in, and go to church before running.

My pre-race pick in the parking lot. CHEESE!

After picking up my number I decided to skip the porta-potty line - gasp - and headed over here ...


You've got a LOVE a race that has a Tweet Up Tent.

I left my mark with the others and went to find my dear friend Shameeka - The Broke Socialite.


Shameeka and her husband, Eric, are contestants in the Atlanta's Biggest Loser Couples competition.

After wishing them luck and connecting with some of my church friends I headed to the start.

The race started and finished at Turner Field, home of the Atlanta Braves.

It's always fun to run under the Olympic rings. A girl can dream, right? 

The race had two water stations and entertainment all the way like this band. They were gettin' it!

Right before the end of the race the Homer, the Braves mascot, cheered everyone in!

Me and Juanita, one of the organizers for the event at my church, after finishing.

Shameeka and Eric celebrating their first 5K together!

My unofficial time was 33:30. It was a fun run for a great cause; and I'm glad I got to participate.

Winks & Smiles,

6 comments:

kat said...

Great race report, thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

You're such an inspiration! I look forward to the day when I can last-minute decide to run a race & know I'm prepared. Almost there! I love charity races too :-)

Marlene said...

Sounds like a really cool event for a good cause! Congrats!!! Love the ics along the way and HOPEFULLY a "Tweet Up Tent" will eventually become a staple at races. Right next to bag check! lol

Shelley said...

Sounds like a nice relaxing day - with a race thrown in for fun! Love it. :)

Unknown said...

Great report!!! Sounds like you had a blast!!
BTW I'm your newest follower. Cheers!!

Deanna @ The Unnatural Mother said...

Love it! I went to the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta....rented a winnebago with 7 girls, so much fun! Great race too!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...